The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Ancient and Unrelated Almanack


This here's from Sunday, June 29, 1997. I know because I scanned it from a copy of the Wash Post Style section of that date, which I found in a drawer in my studio. This was about the third or fourth Poor Almanack I did, though it wasn't called Richard's Poor Almanac(k) then, or anything else. It changed names every time, which wasn't much use for building up a readership. I like this one just fine, though I'd forgotten all about it. I gave the original to Ms. Carolyn Hax, who liked it a lot too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Why is this so absolutely perfect just before St. Santa?
That's what I love about you, Alice, Petey, Dill, and Cul de Sac: surreal illustrations and apparently random remarks creating an unsettling but deeply meaningful and satisfying whole.