The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

This blog is not abandoned...

... sometimes it just feels that way. I spoke with Richard today, and he would like his readers to know that while he's having trouble physically being able to blog, he still likes to hear from people. (We're also trying to set up a workaround so he can use the blog again.)

Here's a  recent photo of Richard at a showing of The Art of Richard Thompson short film. Director Bob Burnett posted it on Facebook, writing "Alexandria Film Festival (where RT received a standing ovation after the screening) the producer Andy "Hamdinger" Hemmendinger makes an appearance too."




Here's Richard with Pixar director Pete Docter, who hired him to work on Inside Out.
 


And here's an image or two from the upcoming book, The Incompleat Art of Why Things Are." Details to follow when they're finalized.




-- Mike Rhode

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I think about Richard every time I pick up a volume of the Complete Cul De Sac. I have been slowing savoring my way through it a big at a time since I got it last Christmas. When I finish, I will likely start it over again. My best to Richard and thanks for all of the laughs. I dig Petey.

Denman Schmid
Frederick, MD

carl craig said...

still my favourite cartoonist i discovered him when i was 12 im now 17. He,s a huge inspiration and im glad to see hes looking happy in those photos

carl craig said...

please please pleeeeeeeeeease can we see what he did for insideout

Anonymous said...

Sending you our best from Louisville, Richard! So glad to "see" you.

Mark said...

Another KY well-wisher, Richard--happy and proud to hear of your work on insideout. Glad yer smilin'!

Katy Ya said...

We love Cul de Sac more than any other comic. I recently sent a Cul de Sac book to my 91 year old mother, which she devoured in one day. I'm about to send her another one. You have another fan, Richard! Thanks.

Unknown said...

Hi I don't know if this will get to Richard or not but I just wanted to say thank you for your amazing work. It means a lot to me. I have children and it seems so much like you know them, my oldest son is so much like Petey, which means life for me can be difficult at times and so your book helps. In fact yesterday he told me he liked iceberg lettuce better than other types of lettuce because it has less flavor. Which I couldn't help think of your comic about Petey chow "now with less flavor" and I started cracking up. I constantly tease him about his picky eater world ranking. Anyway, thank you for your work and I pray for you that things can be as good as they possibly can be. -Peter

Archduke Erzherzog said...

Much love from Kansas! Just got my copy of The Art of Richard Thompson today and am excited to leave the library to go home and read! Also, the beard is looking fly!

Archduke Erzherzog said...

One more thing... is the Cul de Sac and Adjacent Places painting inspired by Brueghel's Tower of Babel?

Mike Rhode said...

Archduke, I'll forward your question to Richard, as I don't recall the answer.